Leslie Hawke has a confession to make and an emotion to unveil in every response she offers. The co-founder of OvidiuRo association, who found joy in helping needy children in Romania, told us which are the greatest gifts she has ever received in life. Here they are.
The Catholic theologian Thomas Merton said that „The things we really need come to us only as gifts.” I definitely think there is a mystical quality to a truly great gift. They are always things we didn’t even know we needed.
- My son (n. Ethan Hawke) was a wonderful gift from the universe – because he turned out to be so compatible with who I was. I don’t think I would have met the needs of every child out there.
- My next best gift was my dog Fletcher. I actually bought him as a present to myself one Valentine’s Day, and he turned out to contribute so much more to my life than I had any idea I needed.
- Another wonderful gift was a trip to Africa in 1985 that my husband wanted us to take. I only did it because he was so keen on going, but it turned out to be a pivotal event in my life. In fact, I don’t think I’d be doing what I’m doing now in Romania if it weren’t for what that other trip taught me.
- Another gift that comes to mind was an unexpected trip to the Grand Canyon. I was on a business trip to Phoenix, Arizona and wound up with an extra day on my hands. I decided on the spur of the moment to drive up to the Grand Canyon and it turned out to be the most amazing site I have ever seen.
- Last but not least was being sent to Romania by the US Peace Corps. Here was where I found my life’s work. There is no greater gift than to feel like you are where you are supposed to be!
Leslie Hawke is the co-founder of OvidiuRo association, along with Maria Gheorghiu.
IF YOU LIKED THIS INTERVIEW, PLEASE CONSIDER MAKING A DONATION
Semnat de Corina Stoica